Acrylic Drill Bits
Acrylics must be handled with care to avoid cracks and scratches. Drill through acrylics, plastics or laminate surfaces with ease with these specially designed acrylic drill bits from Norseman Drill & Tool. Acrylic drill bits feature a special, precision-ground 60-degree point for gradual penetration to avoid cracking and chipping. Additionally, a 0-degree rake angle on the cutting edge eliminates grabbing, which often leads to cracking, as the drill breaks through the surface of the plastic or acrylic surface. Premium acrylic drills are available in 3/32" through 1/2" diameters and lengths from 2-1/4" to 4-1/4". Stock up on the drilling accessories you need today at AFT!
Tips for Drilling into Plastic or Acrylic
1. While acrylic drills from Norseman are designed to avoid splitting upon break-through, it is wise to support the plastic you are drilling on a sturdy surface, such as a scrap piece of plastic or wood.
2. Drill holes slightly larger than your fastener to allow for the expansion and contraction of the plastic material.
3. Do not drill too close to the edge of the plastic. Aim for distances greater than 1/4" from the border.
4. Slow and steady wins the race when drilling into plastics. To avoid generating too much heat, drill at a slow speed and clear shavings often.
5. Speaking of shavings, be sure to wear safety glasses to protect your eyes.