A handwheel is a manually operated device that revolves around an axis. It is used to adjust machinery and control access to compartments. Handwheels are commonly used in a wide variety of industries, including: manufacturing, construction, aerospace, marine, agricultural and medical.
Typically, the rim serves as a grip; however, many handwheels feature a stationary, revolving, or foldaway handle for ease of use.
Handwheels are available in a variety of types, including:
- Disc handwheels: These handwheels have a circular rim with a central hub. They are the most common type of handwheel and are used for a variety of applications, such as adjusting valves, opening and closing doors, and operating machinery.
- Spoked handwheels: These handwheels have a central hub with spokes radiating out to the rim. They are often used in applications where a high degree of torque is required, such as on heavy machinery.
- Offset handwheels: These handwheels have a rim that is offset from the central hub. This makes them easier to grip and use in tight spaces.
Flat handwheels: These handwheels have a flat rim. They are often used in applications where a high degree of precision is required, such as on machine tools.
Handlebar handwheels: These handwheels have a handlebar-style grip. They are often used in applications where a lot of force is required, such as on construction equipment.
Handwheels can also be customized with a variety of accessories, such as:
- Machine handles: These handles are attached to the handwheel shaft and provide a comfortable grip for the operator.
- Handwheel handles: These handles are attached to the handwheel rim and provide a more secure grip for the operator.
- Locking collars: These collars are used to secure the handwheel to the shaft and prevent it from rotating.
- Guard rings: These rings protect the operator from the handwheel rim and prevent accidental contact with moving parts.
AFT Fasteners carries a large selection of handwheels from top brands such as Kipp. They are available in many sizes, styles and materials, including: aluminum, steel, cast iron, duroplastic, and thermoplastic. Shop online or contact us today for a quote.