Aluminum is both lightweight and high strength, which makes it ideal to be used across a vast number of industries - such as electronics, automobile and aeronautics. In many manufacturing applications, it is necessary to apply additional coatings onto an aluminum part for increased corrosion resistance, enhancing the part's appearance, or to provide greater wear-resistance.
AFT offers both electroplating and electroless plating on aluminum. Our current process offerings include: electroless nickel (e-nickel), zinc-nickel, zinc, and Chem Film.
Electroless Nickel Plating on Aluminum
Electroless nickel, or e-nickel, can be plated directly onto aluminum using zincate process as an intermediate step. Electroless nickel can provide increased wear and corrosion protection. Common applications include: connectors, electronic components and memory discs.
Benefits of Electroless Nickel Plating on Aluminum
- Excellent corrosion protection and corrosion resistance
- Increase lubricity, hardness and wear resistance
- Cadmium and lead free
- RoHS and ELV compliant
- Uniform deposit, ideal for irregular shapes and threaded parts
- Excellent adhesion and free from blisters
Zinc-Nickel Plating on Aluminum
Zinc-nickel plating is commonly preferred over standard zinc plating on aluminum. The zinc-nickel coating will slow the corrosion process and is more capable of withstanding higher temperatures.
Benefits of Zinc-Nickel Plating on Aluminum
- Eco-friendly replacement for cadmium plating
- Excellent corrosion protection
- Superior surface coverage and uniform coverage
- Excellent adhesion and deposits that are free of blisters
- Olive drab, black & yellow
Zinc Plating on Aluminum
Aluminum can be zinc plated using zincate process as an intermediate step. Zinc on aluminum offers corrosion protection and increased hardness.
Benefits of Zinc Plating on Aluminum
- Corrosion protection and increased hardness
- Bright & lusterless finish
- Black, yellow & olive drab
Chem Film Plating on Aluminum
Chem film coatings (also known as Alodine or Iridite) are a chemical conversion coating that is used to passivate aluminum. Chem film is intended to improve adhesion of paint finishes and other coatings. Aluminum chromate conversion coatings produce a thin coating (0.00001-0.00004 inches in thickness).
Benefits of Chem Film Coating on Aluminum
- Minimal surface oxidation on aluminum parts
- Economical process
- Excellent base for painting, powder coating or additional coating processes
- Does not change part dimensions
- Clear iridescent to golden iridescent film
AFT Offers Quality Aluminum Plating Services
With decades of metal finishing experience, you can count on AFT to provide quality electroplating, electroless and metal coating services. We offer low minimums, and turn-around times are typically within 7 days. Please contact us with any questions or to request a quote.