Black Oxide is a conversion coating process created by a chemical reaction with the oxidizers and metal to form an integral protective surface. Application to ferrous alloys and metals begin as oxidizing salts react with iron magnetite, the "black oxide" of iron. This reaction creates a fusion resulting in complete integration with the metal and alloy it protects, adding less than 5 to 10 millionths of an inch to the dimension of the surface. An oil, wax or other coating is applied after treatment to give additional corrosion protection.
The black oxide coating process is used in a variety of industries, including the aerospace industry for transmission and hydraulic systems, where the finish will be constantly coated with oil, or for other moving parts that cannot tolerate the dimensional change of a more corrosion resistant finish. This process can be applied to a diversity of metals including: carbon, alloy and stainless steels, copper, brass, bronze, die cast zinc, and cast iron.
What are the advantages of Black Oxide Coating?
- Dimensional Stability - Black oxide's success is due to its ability to give cosmetic appeal without affecting dimensional properties.
- Versatility - This process can be applied to many diverse metals including: carbon, alloy and stainless steels, copper, brass, bronze, die cast zinc, and cast iron.
- Durability - The finish will not chip, craze, peel or rub off. The only way to remove the finish is by mechanical or chemical methods.
- Protection - Oxidized surfaces have an excellent ability to absorb oils, waxes and lacquers. This enhances the appearance while protecting the treated metal or alloy.
AFT's Black Oxide Production Capacity:
- High volume rack and barrel
- Parts up to 7’ or 84” in length
- Parts up 2,000 lbs. in weight
- Available on alloys, stainless steel, copper and brass
Black Oxide Specifications:
- Can meet most private specs
Black Oxide Fasteners:
AFT allows or customers to either supply their own parts to be plated OR purchase their fasteners directly through AFT. Our most popular black oxide jobs include stainless steel black oxide fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, & washers) as well as large industrial parts to be custom plated.
We offer low minimums, and turn-around times are typically within 7 days. Please contact us with any questions or to request a quote.