What are Xylan Coatings?
Xylan Coatings are a family of fluropolymer coatings, designed for use on machined components and fasteners to prevent corrosion and facilitate makeup torque. They are a waterborne/VOC compliant, resin bonded, thermally cured, single dry film lubricant, and known as "extreme performance coatings". Xylan has been the first choice of engineers in the offshore industry for over 40 years. AFT is a certified Whitford (Xylan) Approved Oil Tools Applicator.
Operating temperature for continuous service ranges from -420° F to +550° F. Xylan coatings prevent leaks past thread - Pressure vessels, valves, pipe unions, storage tanks, reactors pipelines and other fluid containment equipment are often fitted with threaded plugs for inspection, pressure relief, filling or tapping.
Coatings on pipe plugs not only improve their performance and reliability but also make them easier to use. A thin film of Xylan eliminates the PTFE (Teflon) tape normally wrapped around the threads to seal them. In addition, the corrosion protection and low-friction properties of the coating greatly reduce breakout torques, enabling users to remove the plugs at a later date without destroying them.
Whitford offers many different variations of industrial Xylan coatings, each offering their unique properties. Xylan 142X series fastener-class coatings are waterborne/VOC-compliant, resin-bonded, thermally cured, single-film, dry-film lubricants. Their primary purpose is for use on fasteners and oil-related tools to prevent corrosion and resist chemicals. Xylan 142X series applied at 1mil dry-film thickness, over zinc phosphated steel panels, has exceeded 1500 hours of ASTM B-117 salt fog test. See Xylan 142X Flyer for more information.
Xylan 1000 Series is ideal for, but not limited to industrial and mechanical applications. It is the most versatile, dependable, and successful industrial fluropolymer coating in the world, and demonstrate excellent adhesion to a variety of materials. See Xylan 1000 Series Flyer for more information.
AFT’s Fluoropolymer coatings have the lowest coefficient of friction of all known fastener coatings, which requires that make-up torque specifications be adjusted to compensate. You may see a reduction of make-up torque from 30 to 70 percent.
Benefits of Xylan Coatings
- Dry-Film Lubricants
- Low Friction - CoF as low as 0.02
- Corrosion and chemical resistance
- Weather resistance - sunlight, salt water, and road chemicals
- Wide temperature range - -420° F to +550° F
- Wear Resistant, even under extreme pressures
- Excellent non-stick and release properties
- Pliability - Many coatings will bend freely and repeatedly without breaking
- Machinability - Apply multiple coats of Xylan and mill to specification
- Able to adhere to a variety of materials - most metals, plastics, ceramics, wood, itself
- Abundance of color selections for all applications
AFT's Xylan Offering
- Xylan 1424 - Waterborne/VOC-compliant, highly corrosion-resistant, dry-film lubricant designed for use on any mating surface requiring lubrication. Xylan 1424 reduces make-up and break-out torque and also offers excellent chemical and abrasion resistance. Similar to Xylan 1014. Available in a wide range of colors. See Xylan 1424 Color Chart
- Xylan 1425 - Waterborne, dry-film lubricant formulated with PTFE and MoS2 specifically for high-pressure, low speed wear applications. Its unique chemistry provides dependable, bonded lubrication for bearing surfaces subjected to extreme pressures up to 10,500 kg/cm2 (150,000 psi). Xylan 1425 operates well in harsh chemical environments and at temperatures up to 190˚C (375˚F). Similar to Xylan 1052. Commonly used in offshore oil production, and available in black, blue, and green.
- Xylan 1070 - Highly corrosion-resistant, low-friction coating designed to reduce make-up and break-out torque, even after prolonged exposure to corrosive environments. Xylan 1070 also offers good wear and abrasion resistance.
- Xylan 1014 - Similar to Xylan 1010, but with significantly more bonding resin relative to its content of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) lubricant. This provides a finish that is harder, more abrasion-resistant, glossier and less porous. Friction values remain low and predictable.
- Xylan 1052 - Dry-film lubricant formulated with PTFE (Teflon) and MoS2 for high-pressure, low-speed wear applications. Its unique chemistry provides dependable, bonded lubrication for bearing surfaces subjected to extreme pressures of up to 10,500 kg/cm2 (150,000 psi). Xylan 1052 operates at temperatures up to 500˚F/260˚C continuous (550˚F/285˚C intermittent).
Additional Xylan and Teflon coatings are available. Please contact us if your application requires a Xylan coating not currently listed.
AFT's Xylan Capabilities
Two Spray Booths
Two High-Temperature Ovens
1 - 15 ft x 8 ft x 8 ft, 500° oven
1 - 5 ft x 5 ft x 5 ft, 600° oven
Walk-In Blast Room
20 ft x 8 ft x 8 ft
Blast Cabinet - For Smaller Items
Zinc Phosphate - 2 Production Lines
4 ft x 4 ft x 8 ft
4 ft x 4 ft x 4 ft
20 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft (for pipes)
Phosphate Production Line
Industries that use Xylan
- Commercial Bakeware
- Gardening Tools
- Energy/Offshore Drilling
- Mold Release
Purchase from AFT or Supply Your Own Parts
When having parts Xylan coated at our metal finishing facility, AFT offers customers the option to either supply their own parts or purchase them directly through AFT. In most circumstances, buying the parts directly from AFT can be significantly less expensive due to lower shipping costs and our competitive pricing.
We offer low minimums, and turn-around times are typically within 7 days. Please contact us with any questions or to request a quote.
* Xylan is a registered trademark of Whitford. Teflon is a registered trademark of DuPont.