What is Chemical Film Process?
Chemical Film, also known as “Alodine” or “Iridite”, is a common plating process used for the protection of aluminum surfaces. This chemical process produces a corrosion resistant and protective film on aluminum and aluminum alloys - with or without color.
Darker coatings usually provide the best protection and colors are classified as “clear” or “gold”. The Classification per MIL-C-5541 of the aluminum part is determined by the amount of exposure in the Chemical Film solution.
RoHS Compliant - AFT offers both traditional hexavalent Chemical Film and RoHS hex-free Chemical Film coatings. We have selected MacDermid Iridite NCP non-chrome Passivate, as this process has been developed in response to the ELV, RoHS and WEEE directives. Iridite NCP does not contain lead, cadmium, chromium (hexavalent or trivalent), mercury or PBB/PBDE compounds. Iridite NCP is an environmentally-friendly process that can be used as a final finish on aluminum, as well as a paint base, high performance topcoat, powder coat, lacquers, or as a bonding base for rubber. Iridite is always clear.
What are the benefits of Chemical Film?
- Economical conversion coatings
- Ease of Use
- Extend the service life of parts
- Minimize surface oxidation of aluminum parts
- Very thin coating: No dimensional change
- Primer for paint adhesion and other topcoats
AFT's Chemical Film Chemistry and Production
- Production tanks - 10 ft x 2 ft x 4 ft
- Chemistry for traditional hexavalent chemical film is MacDermid Iridite 14-2. Qualified uner specifications MIL-DTL-81706B, Class 3, Form II, Method C.
- Chemistry used for RoHS non-chrome is MacDermid Iridite NCP. Qualified under specifications MIL-DTL-81706B, Class 1A, Form II, Method A, B & C. Class 3, Form II, Method C.
AFT's Chemical Film Specifications
- MIL-DTL-81706B (Type 2B, 1A, B&C)
- Can meet most private specifications
Purchase from AFT or Supply Your Own Parts
When having parts plated, coated, or painted at our metal finishing facility, AFT offers customers the option to either supply their own parts or purchase them directly through AFT. In most circumstances, buying the parts directly from AFT can be significantly less expensive due to lower shipping costs and our competitive pricing.
We offer low minimums, and turn-around times are typically within 7 days. Please contact us with any questions or to request a quote.